The #1 complaint I hear from nurses is that they don’t have enough TIME to do their work. Too many demands, the unpredictability of the healthcare environment and the fact that “everything falls on the nurses’ shoulders” are a reality. However, we can be our own worst enemy.
Based on my observations over the last 23 years working as a nurse, these are the top 5 time wasters I believe we DO have control over.
Top 5 Time Wasters to Eliminate:
1. Doing other people’s work. The key is to learn how to delegate effectively.
2. Gossiping. Come on. You know you do it. Just stop.
3. Not preparing. Spending 20 minutes preparing before your shift can save you tons of time throughout your shift.
4. Socializing. Chat with your colleagues about vacation plans during your break – not while working.
5. Running around looking for supplies. We KNOW this yet we still keep running in and out of patients’ room because we forgot something.
Bonus: Time waster for smokers. Yep. Smoke breaks. Limit the number of smoke breaks you take – better yet, quit (I can say that because I used to be a smoker a gazillion years ago).
I’d love to learn what YOU think are big time wasters. Who knows, I might add yours to the list!
Thanks for reading. Take care and stay connected.