Nurses week is a great week to reflect on the value nurses bring to the delivery of care and also a time to forecast into the future. What can each of us do to advance the profession of nursing to a higher level? What can each of us do to achieve greater success?
Sometimes we all just need a little inspiration to figure it out. Quotes are a great place to begin. #50 is my favorite
We will start with Florence and end with a few of mine.
1. “It may seem a strange principle to enunciate as the very first requirement in a Hospital that it should do the sick no harm.” ~Florence Nightingale
2. “Let us never consider ourselves finished nurses….we must be learning all of our lives.” ~Florence Nightingale
3. “I attribute my success to this – I never gave or took any excuse.” ~Florence Nightingale
4. “How very little can be done under the spirit of fear.” ~Florence Nightingale
5. “Let whoever is in charge keep this simple question in her heard – Not, how can I always do this right thing myself, but how can I provide for the right thing to be always done?” ~Florence Nightingale
6. “Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the flowers, Kind deeds are the fruits, Take care of your garden And keep out the weeds, Fill it with sunshine, Kind words, and Kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
7. “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”~Plato
8. “Do what makes you happy, be with who makes you smile, laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live.” ~Rachel Ann Nunes
9. “If you’ll not settle for anything less than your best, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish in your lives.” ~Vince Lombardi
10. “Cooperation is the thorough conviction that nobody can get there unless everybody gets there.” ~Virginia Burden Tower, American writer
11. “When you’re a nurse you know that every day you will touch a life or a life will touch yours.” ~Author Unknown
12. “The only way to do great work is to love the work you do.” ~Steve Jobs
13. “Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people.” ~Barbara Bush
14. “The time is always right to do what is right.”~Martin Luther King, Jr.
15. “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”~Martin Luther King, Jr.
16. “An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and takes the tartar sauce with him.”~Zig Ziglar
17. “Honesty and integrity are absolutely essential for success in life – all areas of life. The really good news is that anyone can develop both honesty and integrity.” ~Zig Ziglar
18. “The most important persuasion tool you have in your entire arsenal is integrity.” ~Zig Ziglar
19. “The sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.” ~Carl Jung
20. “If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place.” ~Eckhart Tolle
21. “The mighty oak is just a nut that held its ground.” ~Unknown
22. “Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.” ~Mother Teresa
23. “Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.”~Alfred A. Montapert
24. “What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage!”~Cowardly Lion
25. “It’s not about being better than everyone else, it’s about being better than you used to be.” ~Dr. Wayne Dyer
26. “People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” ~Zig Ziglar
27. “If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You have another chance.” ~Andrea Boydston
28. “It’s not what you know or who you know. It’s what you are that finally counts.” ~Zig Ziglar
29. “Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ~Mahatma Gandhi
30. “What do we live for; if it is not to make life less difficult for each other.”~Mary Ann Evans
31. “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this something, at whatever cost, must be attained.’’ ~MARIE CURIE
32. “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” ~Dalai Lama
33. “You don’t get to choose how you are going to die. Or when. You only decide how you are going to live.”~Joan Baez
34. “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.” ~Dalai Lama
35. “Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God’s kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.” ~Mother Teresa
36. “Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.”~Princess Diana
37. “We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”~Ronald Reagan
38. “My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.”~Dalai Lama
39. “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, either way you are right.”~Henry Ford
40. “Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.”~Jim Rohn
41. “Human capacity is equal to human cruelty, and it’s up to each of us to tip the balance” ~Alice Walker.
42. “Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.” ~Ryunosuke Satoro
43. “Believe and act as if it were impossible to fail.”~Charles F. Kettering
44. “To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.” ~Anatole France
45. “Change your thoughts and you change your world.” ~Norman Vincent Peale
46. “Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain-and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.” ~Benjamin Franklin
47. “You can make more friends in two weeks by becoming a good listener than you can in two years trying to get other people interested in you.” ~Dale Carnegie
48. “You deserve to believe you make a difference; because you do!” ~Renee Thompson
49. “Patients deserve to be cared for competent, compassionate nurses.” ~Renee Thompson
50. “Nurses are humans by birth and heroes by choice.” ~Renee Thompson
Thanks so much for choosing to become a nurse!
Happy Nurses Week!